Sunday, August 28, 2011

Hurricanes make me want to eat soup!

The weather here, though it is many miles from the eye of Irene, has been rainy and windy all day long. Reminds me a bit of my childhood in N.O. When hurricanes were near, we taped up the windows, filled the bathtub with water, checked the canned goods stock, filled up our individual giant red water bottles and prepared to hunker down for a while.
I always liked the feeling the low pressure gave me; it made me excited and a little bit scared . We were lucky that none of those hurricanes were really close enough to cause major damage. Afterwards, I have to admit, we went out rubbernecking- to see trees blown down and roofs on houses that were being built blown atop other houses.
Today I just did the hunkering down part and, since I am living in the frozen north, decided it was high time for a bit of mushroom soup. In typical fashion, I did not measure, but I will give y'all some guesstimates at how much of what I put into the old pot. This only makes about 2 or 3 cups of hearty, very mushroom-y soup. If you are a vegan, you can just use water instead of yogurt, and you may not want to use the beer unless you know they didn't use isinglass for clarity.
1/3 onion........................2 carrots
7 oz. mushrooms...........1/4 cup frozen or fresh corn
Chop onions, peel and grate carrots, and cook in oiled pan, stirring over medium heat until almost soft. Add corn. Cut mushrooms into slices, then cut across two or three times. Add to other veggies.
Add spices- 1 1/2 t. curry powder, 1/4 t. ground pepper, 1/2 t. garlic, a little basil, salt if you want, and anything else you think will be good. Cook all of this until nice and soft- mushrooms may get squeaky- that's good.
Add 1/4 cup beer, 1/2 t. good soy sauce or tamari and 3/4 cup water. Put the lid on and let this simmer.
In the meantime.... Make some roux.
Melt 2 T butter over low heat
Add 1/3 cup unbleached or wheat flour and whisk in until no longer lumpy.
Add 1/2 cup yogurt and whisk in until smooth. Add enough water to make it about like a thin mayonnaise- maybe 1/4- 1/2 cup. Turn off heat.
When the soup stock seems to be well cooked- maybe 15 or 20 minutes of simmering- pour a little bit of the liquid soup into the roux, mix, and then pour roux into the soup stock while stirring. Let that all cook over extremely low heat for just a few minutes. Keep an eye on it and stir occasionally. Delicious served with Welsh rarebit, or crackers, or something else!
I couldn't help but add a picture of one of my 'portal' beads- like the eye of the hurricane!

No comments: